Sunday, October 12, 2008

My Mighty Sister

Once you get on the right track, life starts making sense. That's exactly how I am feeling right now.

I talked to my sister over the phone last night. She still lives in Japan with three kids and a Japanese husband. She has gone through so much with her marriage life. I admire her courage to have been able to endure that many hardships, something I couldn't do in million years. She's always had the right attitude towards life -- facing whatever problems she encounters head on. I have, on the other hand, been running away from my problems. Whenever I sensed a little bit difficulty, next minute I was gone.

My sister and I have had different personalities as long as I can remember. Those differences tore us apart from time to time. She used to lecture me about a lot of things I did. At the time, I didn't see it as her love towards me. I resented her for giving me a hard time. Now I do realize that she did that for my own sake.

I've never treasured our relationship until recently years. But now I appreciate the fact that I have a strong-willed sister like her. It gives me more power as well. I admire her determination to stay on top of everything in her life no matter what hurdles that are in front of her. She is that strong and secure. Completely the opposite of me.

Last night, my sister mentioned about maybe coming back to China in a couple of years. At least she wants to let her kids see China. I am looking forward so much to seeing her back to China so that our family is together again. Her staying in China permanently won't be a simple matter, but at least if we can see her once a year here, it's still not so bad. Just imagining our family being together on our own soil gave me a delightful hope.

My family means everything to me. They're the engine that drives me to overcome my problems and to work hard towards my goals. I hope our dream will come true one day.

5 comments:

spacedlaw said...

I would really like to see pictures of the place you are living in. I don't have Chinese ancestors but I am VERY curious...

Dan H said...

I think it's great that you have reconciled your relationship with your sister and that you are feeling closer to her. It sounds like the result of your maturing. That is an important part of life. I hope that she is able to come back to China soon.

Miyonao said...

"It sounds like the result of your maturing." - That's absolutely right, dan. I hope my sister will be part of my life soon too.

Spacedlawyer, I'm thinking of doing that soon. Putting up pictures of Beijing. I'd like to visit Buddhist temples in Beijing. If you get a chance, please come to see China. You'll see how dynamic my country is. Well, visiting Italy is one of my dreams too.

AikiPenguin said...

I remember hearing about your sister in Japan.

Any gaijin in Japan is going to face some obstacles, as you and I both know. But a Chinese woman, marriing into a Japanese family is going to have a bunch of unique circumstances.

I admire her, too. And it's nice to hear you talk of her this way.

Miyonao said...

Thanks, my favorite penguin! Can't wait to hear my sister to lecture me again, hehe... Hope I won't do anything that makes her feel like lecturing me though. But she said that I was too old to get lectured. Too bad for me...