Saturday, October 11, 2008

Interesting Interview Test

An interview I had with an industry research company gave me a written test which included these questions as follows. No internet search or dictionary is allowed to use during the test.

1. How many golf balls do you think the room you're in can fit into? (Note: nothing else was given such as the room or a golf ball's size.)

2. With the following clues, please answer how many refrigerators were sold in 2007. You are allowed to make assumptions. Please also explain how you have reached to your conclusion.
  • The number of households in the US in 2007 were 100 million.
  • Refrigerators last and function properly for 16 years.
  • The number of households will increase to 105 million in 2012.
Other questions included the GDP of China in 2007 and the capital of Spain. I knew the capital of Spain but didn't know about China's GDP (US$6.9 trillion).

I think this job is more suitable more graduate students who majored in economics. We'll see. They will invite qualified candidates to the second interview next week. But I guess I'll never get the answers to these questions if I won't get hired.

P.S. Yes, I'm already working a job. But I've been recommended to keep looking for better opportunities. It seems completely acceptable in China if a new employee jumps onto another job after a week of current employment or takes time off for a different interview on the third day of his new job.

5 comments:

Lula said...

Wow. Was there a time limit? My first instinct is to freak out-but given time I could have (maybe) come up with a reasonable response.

How do you think you did?

Miyonao said...

30-minute time limit. It took me more than that to finish. Then another writing test with 30 minutes too. Well, in total, it took me an hour and twenty minutes to finish both.

spacedlaw said...

Strange! It is of course assumed that young workers will be on the look out for new - better - opportunities but such a high turnover is amazing. One wonders why companies hire them at all - training people is an investment after all.

I think they want to see how you are analysing those problems rather then interested in the answers.

Miyonao said...

Well, maybe that's why they're not training me at all, hehe.. Just gave documents to read myself. Then I was being assigned with small things. This week, intensive work load from the very beginning.

Don't get me wrong though. Every co-worker I've talked to so far has worked for the company for years. One person has been working here since she graduated from college. In US or Japan, if you take your third day off from a new job off to attend another interview and then quit the current one in a week for a better opportunity, everyone would probably be stunned. In China, they won't be so suprised. That's all I wanted to say.

AikiPenguin said...

Well, the taking the third day off thing is kinda outrageous, I admit. Quitting in a week does happen from time to time for various reasons.

You can just say you didn't feel the job was suitable. No biggie. ;)