Friday, September 12, 2008

Taking a Break from My Stories of Life in Japan

I have started writing about the eleven years I had spent in Japan, but I decided to take a break. I'm kind of scared of going to that dark part of my life and am afraid of remembering those miserable memories. I hope I will be able to write about it without feeling depressed someday, but obviously I'm not ready yet.

I think what I need to focus right now is how I can overcome my social anxiety disorder and how to live a life I want to live. One thing I found on a social anxiety disorder forum recommended to list up good things happened today. So here it goes.

1. I took deep breaths and tried to imagine the "happy ending" before I called up my landlord this morning. During our conversation, I tried to talk slowly, so I won't get nervous and I won't make her nervous. And it worked. I could talk to her with a calm voice.

2. I went to the spring water supplier's store to ask them to deliver water for me. I wasn't nervous, pretty comfortable. Their store is run by this old gentleman and his daughter. Very good people. When the daughter came by the first day I asked them to deliver water, she also seemed to like my cat and said she would take my kitty if I ever need to give her away. She was the kind of person that the second you talk to her, you can immediately tell that she's a good person. I like people who love animals. They're often kind-hearted.

3. I read "The ANTs Handout" today. (It's part of my overcoming social anxiety disorder exercises that I should practice everyday....which I don't...)

4. I read the New York Times articles out loud.

5. I read one article from Associated Press out loud.

6. I went to the bank, then the store to get yummy food. (I often stay inside all the time unless I really had to go somewhere.)

7. While I walked on the street, I kept imagining that Buddha was watching over me. Just by thinking that he was always with me and that I wasn't alone by myself, it made me feel better.

8. I did sit-ups 50 times with deep breathes before I met my landlord. It made my conversation with her a bit easier.

9. The frozen dumplings I bought today tasted pretty good.

6 comments:

Sangye Norbu said...

列出一天中发生的好的事情,这个方法听起来很有效。我想把它介绍给我的一位因家庭和公司人际关系而患有社交恐惧症(パニック障害)的日本朋友。谢谢你分享你宝贵的经验。

佛教里有一种叫做“施受法”的修行方法,我觉得对于社交恐惧症是会有很大帮助的。

有关施受法的详细实践方法在《西藏生死书》的第十二章“慈悲:如意宝珠”中可以找到。
http://www.zhaoqt.net/fo/014.htm

如果有时间就可以完整的阅读第十二章。如果时间不够也可以从“施受法的阶段”或“施受法的加行”部分开始阅读。

愿诸吉祥!

Miyonao said...

如果您的日本朋友感兴趣的话,我还有很多对社交恐惧症有效的练习方法,比如说每天坚持以较慢的速度出声朗读30分钟,内容最好是积极向上的。理论是以较慢的速度朗读会使我们心情平静下来。这个方法练一段时间之后,便可以开始与家人或要好的朋友以这样的慢速度说话。渐渐的就可以同陌生人练习这个方法了。当然这只是克服社恐症的开始,单单这些不能解决问题,还需要其他的训练。我想坐禅和瑜伽等也应该很有帮助吧。重点就在于慢慢地消除消极的想法和态度,并以积极向上的东西来替代。这些练习都很简单,难的是持之以恒。

谢谢介绍我读《西藏生死书》。我会吧读后感写到blog中去。

Sangye Norbu said...

谢谢!

Miyonao said...

不客气!

Racheal Miles said...

Hi again,

Does it make a difference if you read out loud.

I am just wondering why you do this.

Racheal x

Miyonao said...

Hi, Racheal. Thanks for stopping by. The reason I do that is because it's part of my exercises to overcome social anxiety disorder. By reading out loud in a slightly slower speed than we normally speak, it makes us calmer.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.