Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Path to Become a Buddhist

I am into Buddhism more than ever now. I have just met a Tibetan nun last Saturday who is originally from Japan. Spending a whole day with her, I felt that Buddhism has become something that I'd like to pursue and cherish for the rest of my life, and even becoming a nun could be possbile.

With only a little Buddhist practice, I've become a happier, more relaxed and generous person than I ever was in my whole life. I used to have so much focus on meterials. Most of the times, I never wanted to share anything with anyone else. After understanding that giving to others makes no difference from giving it to myself; and that every creature in this world used to be my mother at one time(at some point in my past lives. I think "mother" in here does not simply mean the person who gave you birth.), I mind very little sharing my belonggings with others. They are materials afterall. We cannot bring anything to this world when we're born, neither can we take anything with us when we die. So what's the big deal? Give it to others if they're in need. Right?

I've been wanting to write about a lot of thoughts about Buddhism since last Saturday. But I just got too many thoughts and I simply didn't know where to start. The Japanese nun showed me some pictures of the place she lives made me think that living as a monk or a nun in a Tibetan district(within Sichuan Province of China) seemed like a life of heaven to me. I would like to do exactly the same if I didn't have anything left I wanna do in my current life. I still wanna get married and have children.

Being a monk or a nun is the best way of practicing Buddhism. For now, I'll have to do the second best which is to practice while accommodating my current lifestyle. There's so much I can do. Well, when I know there's so much I should be doing, I don't know what to do or where to start. I wish I could dedicate all my time and energy to practice. But obviously it's not possible with a full-time job.

I'll write more about Buddhism when I can. Hope you're all happy and well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Buddhism is a beautiful religion. I envy that you get to be where there are so many ancient temples. I have been trying to use meditation a lot to center myself and the concept of letting go has been really helpful to me. I wish I could take classes to learn more about all the concepts in a structured way. It is great you have met someone who can help you strengthen your practice. ( I am not sure of all the terminology)

I have been using http://www.buddhanet.net/ online. They have so much information it is great.

Miyonao said...

Thanks for you message, Red. And I'm glad you're interested into Buddhism too. If you're really into this and keep pursuing this parth, you'll eventually meet other people who're interested in Buddhism and one of them could be your teacher. Actually I met this Tibetan nun through blogging too. It's such a good coincidence. Her ex-husband accidently found my blog. That's all our connections started.

Wish you good luck! If there's anything I could help, I'd be happy to do that.

Lula said...

Very interesting! Please share the things you learn. It seems to leave you peaceful and happy.

AikiPenguin said...

Hi Miyonao,

I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to be a nun. A sincere practice is very rewarding, whether you wear the monks robes or a business suit.

Don't forget, monks spend a lot of their time cleaning and working, too. It's not all study and meditation! So your job can be your "work practice" and your private time can be devoted to your Buddhist practice and study. Not much different if you think about it that way.